The Center for Medicare and Medicaid Services (C.M.S.) began phasing in its value-based purchasing program in 2007. Value based purchasing links payment directly to the quality of care provided. It is one strategy being used by C.M.S. to transform the current payment system by rewarding providers for delivering high quality, efficient clinical care.
There are three aspects to the program: patient experience, hospital-acquired conditions and achievement of expected treatment for specific clinical diagnoses.
Select one of the following hospital-acquired conditions:
- Surgical site infection
- Pressure Ulcers
- Catheter-associated urinary tract infections
- Harm related to falls
For your Final Paper:
- Include a brief discussion of the chosen hospital-acquired condition and why it is considered preventable.
- Explain the legal implications related to a patient developing the condition and the role that disclosure plays.
- Describe accreditation expectations related to this condition.
- Analyze the outcomes of continuous quality monitoring consider cost as it relates to quality.
The following questions and/or topics should be utilized in the development of your Final Paper:
Hospital acquired conditions:
- What is meant by the term “hospital acquired condition”?
- Is the condition you selected always preventable? Why or why not?
- How does reducing or preventing this condition indicate quality healthcare practices?
- What role does communication between the healthcare team and the patient/family play in preventing this condition?
- Why might a healthcare provider be reluctant to discuss the development of this condition with the patient and family?
- How might members of the healthcare team present this information to the patient and family?
- What, if any, is the link between disclosure and litigation?
- The Joint Commission accredits 82% of the hospitals in the United States. (Sollecito& Johnson, 2013, p. 516).
- What expectations does the Joint Commission have with regards to the condition you selected?
- How is it assessed by surveyors during an accreditation survey?
Outcomes related to cost and quality:
- What continuous quality improvement strategies might you use to involve members of the healthcare team in planning and implementing improvements related to this issue?
- Provide examples for each of the following performance improvement levels: localized improvement, organization learning, process reengineering, and evidence-based medicine. (Refer to page 5 in your text if needed.)
- What role does education, research, collaboration, information technology, leadership and teamwork play in addressing this issue?
- Of the strategies listed which one do you believe would generate the best outcomes and cost the least to implement? Explain your opinion.
has been added to your cart!
have been added to your cart!
You must log in and be a buyer of this download to submit a review.