LASA 2: Ethnographic Comparison
Anthropologists are interested in framing broad hypotheses about human behavior. In order to do this, it is imperative to use examples from multiple cultures to ensure that their conclusions are not grounded in a single case.
In this assignment, you will be taking on the role of an ethnologist, using multiple ethnographic accounts to study human behavior and culture.
Do the following:
- Identify two to three societies to compare such as African, Indian, Chinese, Korean, or Native American.
- Choose one aspect of human culture discussed in the course:
o Domestic life and kinship
o Subsistence and economy
o Culture change
Write a research paper to include the following:
- Describe the background information of each of the societies you have chosen. You need not analyze this background information, only provide details regarding these societies.
- Analyze the aspect of human culture you selected for each of the societies.
- Compare and contrast the similarities and differences between the societies in relation to the topic you chose—for example, standard of living, education, or employment opportunities.
- Summarize and address human behavior in relation to your topic and based on your examples.
o Address the realities of life for the cultures you have examined.
o Examine some of the social problems and public policy issues that become apparent.
Your paper should have a title page as well as an introduction section. This introduction section should include the societies you selected as well as the human culture aspect you will be discussing and why it is relevant to anthropology. As an anthropologist, use relevant anthropological terms in your analysis.
Support your statements with examples and scholarly references.
Write a 4–6-page paper in Word format. Apply APA standards to citation of sources
Assignment 1 Grading Criteria Maximum Points
Write an introduction of the topic you chose and describe why it is relevant to anthropology. 12
Write background information on the 2–3 societies. 32
Compare and contrast the similarities and differences between the societies in relation to the topic you chose. 100
Summarize and discuss human behavior in relation to your topic and based on your examples.
has been added to your cart!
have been added to your cart!
You must log in and be a buyer of this download to submit a review.