Jerry McCall is Dr. Williams’s office assistant. He has received professional training as both a medical assistant and a LPN. He is handling all the phone calls while the receptionist is at lunch. A patient calls and says he must have a prescription refill for Valium, an antidepressant medication, called in right away to his pharmacy, since he is leaving for the airport in thirty minutes. He says that Dr. Williams is a personal friend and always gives him a small supply of Valium when he has to fly.
No one except Jerry is in the office at this time. What should he do?
Prepare a300-500word paper in which you answer the following questions:
· Does Jerry’s medical training qualify him to issue this refill order? Why or why not?
· Would it make a difference if the medication requested were for control of high blood pressure that the patient critically needs on a daily basis? Why or why not?
· If Jerry calls in the refill and the patient has an adverse reaction while flying, is Jerry protected from a lawsuit under the doctrine of respondent superior?
· What is your advice to Jerry?
· Identify major legal and ethical issues that may affect Jerry’s decision.
· What problem-solving methods might be helpful to assist in making an ethical decision?
has been added to your cart!
have been added to your cart!
You must log in and be a buyer of this download to submit a review.