Course Media: U.S. Health Care Delivery System
• “Understanding Health Care Organizations: External Influences” *(Understanding Disease and Its Impact on the System) (Dr. Lawrence Green, Dr. Georges Benjamin, and Dr. Rachel Smith)
*The title on the Course Media is incorrectly listed as “Understanding Health Care Organizations.” The correct title is “Understanding Disease and Its Impact on the System.”
• Course Text: Delivering Health Care in America
• Chapter 2, “Beliefs, Values, and Health”
• Course Text: Understanding the U.S. Health Services System
• Chapter 2, “An Overview of the U.S. Health Services System and Its Users”
• Chapter 12, “Health Promotion and Disease Prevention”
• Thorpe, K. E., Florence, C. S., Howard, D. H., & Joski, P. (2005). The rising prevalence of treated disease: Effects on private health insurance spending. Health Affairs, 24, 317-325. Retrieved from the Walden Library databases.
• World Health Organization (WHO) Indicator Definitions and Metadata, 2008
• Behavioral Risk Factor Report
• The Nation’s 10 Most Expensive Medical Conditions Podcast
Health Indicators Comparison
To prepare for this assignment, go to the World Health Organization’s “Statistical Information System” an interactive database that allows you to compare health indicators for multiple countries. Click on the following link to visit this website: https://www.who.int/whosis/en/
• Follow the instructions on the website to do a detailed search and create a table comparing health indicators for three countries—the United States and two countries of your choosing.
• Consider the definitions of health indicators presented in the Learning Resources, and select three that you would like to focus on for your analysis. Set up your table on the website to compare these health indicators.
Once your table is complete, analyze the data in light of the information presented in this week’s Learning Resources. Also look at the “Health Systems Resources” and “Demographic and Socioeconomic Statistics” information on the World Health Organization’s website.
• What insights does this comparison give you about health and disease within the U.S. health care delivery system?
• Identify the countries that you are comparing.
• Define the health indicators you have selected for your analysis and explain why you chose them.
Summarize the results of your comparison, sharing at least two insights gained through this analysis about health and disease within the U.S. health care delivery system.
Death and Disease Information By State
To prepare for this Application Assignment, research your state’s information on the following websites:
• CDC National Center for Health Statistics
• Trust for America’s Health
Select one specific health problem that is prevalent in your state, and research the lifestyle, genetic, and environmental risk factors associated with it. Visit the website for your state’s health department to learn about efforts to address this disease.
To complete this Application Assignment, write a 2- to 3-page paper in which you: Please start the first paper with page 2
• Describe the leading causes of death and disease in the U.S. health care system, noting how your state’s information compares to national data.
• Identify the lifestyle, genetic, and environmental risk factors associated with one specific health problem that is prevalent in your state.
• Describe efforts to address this health problem in your state.
• Explain how this analysis informs your understanding of disease and its impact on health care delivery within your state and within the U.S. health care delivery system.
has been added to your cart!
have been added to your cart!
You must log in and be a buyer of this download to submit a review.